Everyone is looking for a quick fix – a magic bullet to get them on the fast track to better health. And there’s nothing wrong with that. When life is packed, your food should do double duty, too. Here’s good news! Six foods that you might already be eating can pack a punch in terms of helping rid your body of toxins and giving you the energy you need to face your busiest days:
- Broccoli (and other cruciferous veggies): Broccoli contains lots of Vitamin C and compounds called glucosinolates, which help the liver process toxins.
- Spinach: Spinach contains protein, fiber and carbs, is high in Vitamins A and K, and is a great source of antioxidants. Spinach is though to help prevent migraines and acts as a natural diuretic and laxative.
- Beans and Lentils: Packed with carbohydrates, protein and fiber, these are a great energy source and the fiber helps provide bulk to the waste system, encouraging regularity.
- Nuts and Seeds: Protein and fat combine to offer instant energy, and many nuts and seeds have been shown to reduce cholesterol and fight cardiovascular disease.
- Avocados: Avocados contain folate, which helps prevent heart disease, and when eaten with other foods, help the body absorb more nutrients from all the foods we eat.
- Yogurt: Full of protein and carbohydrates, not to mention calcium for strong bones, yogurt is an ideal snack. The healthy bacteria contained in yogurt can also cut down bloat and aid digestion.